Saturday, June 28, 2008

I don't mean to be mean, but...

Hi folks. Today I'm gonna talk about something that irks me quite a lot. I'm sure in your daily life, you would have had a conversation with somebody that goes like this:

"xxxxxxx, aaaaaaaa, that's mean yyyyyy, zzzzzz, etc etc..."

I'm emphasizing the "thats mean" part. Usually these term is used by people whom English is not their first language. Now, I don't mean to be mean. My English isn't perfect either. So, I mean no offense, please view this as an educational post.

Folks, the correct way of saying it is "That means xxx". Not "That's mean".

"That's mean" means that you're saying something is mean. For example, you saw some dangerous police man harassing some poor folk who was minding his business finding his way to Terminal Putra. So then you'll say "That's mean!!!", in the same way you would say "That's bad!" or "That sucks!" (please don't say "That's suck!", that's realllly wrongggg).You got what I mean?

What irks me even more is when someone says "That's mean that xxx". That's like a combo of bad English. That's owning.... monster kill... godlike! (Sorry, I miss DOTA).

So there you have it. Let's make the world a better place by using our languages properly, and not by mutilating languages and creating some absurd terms like "Wo kan wo kan". Oops...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks God~!

Anonymous said...

sorry.. :(