Sunday, June 15, 2008

Are you in, or are you out?

English can be a strange language. Really. I was talking on the phone with my good colleague, and somehow this sentence came up:

"Joe, I know your character. When you do something, once you go in, you'll go all out".

She was actually discussing something serious with me, but I couldn't stop myself from laughing when I heard that sentence. I mean, hmm... go in?? Go all out?? What an oxymoron!

Some other examples include this whole hot and cool thing. "Wow, coooool!!!"... "Oh,.. she's hot!!" Both words are used to describe something that attracts or fascinate you.

What about "Yo man, let's get down!" and "What's up?" Can't remember which song but there's this 70s disco song with this piece of lyric "Get up! And let's get down!" Huhhh???

And the list goes on...

No comments: